Two guinea pigs rescued from Gosport flat fire by Hampshire firefighters

TWO pet guinea pigs had to be rescued by firefighters following a flat fire in Gosport.

Thursday, 15th April 2021, 1:03 pm

A casualty had to be taken to hospital following the blaze at the property in The Redan while 10 other properties had to be evacuated.

However after rescuing the man, attentions then turned to saving the lives of his two pet guinea pigs.

Read More

Read More
Sky turns black as Hampshire firefighters tackle Gosport flat fire

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters rescue two guinea pigs from a flat fire in Gosport.

Gosport police, who were also involved in the rescue operation, posted a message on social media which said: ‘There was a great multi-agency response this afternoon to the fire at Archer House in Gosport.

‘Animal lovers will be relieved to hear that after ensuring that all human residents had been evacuated, and that the fire had been brought under control, Hampshire police and fire officers collaborated on the last-minute rescue of two flustered but otherwise unharmed guinea pigs.’

Speaking to The News straight after the incident, neighbour Corina Jones, 35, said: ‘I saw two firefighters carrying out a cage from the flat which looked like it had animals in it. Hopefully the animals are okay.’

A total of six fire appliances and 30 firefighters were deployed from Gosport, Fareham, Wickham and Southsea fire stations to tackle the blaze which took place on Wednesday April 14.

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

You can subscribe here for unlimited access to our online coverage, including Pompey, for 27p a day.