Commuters warned of travel chaos after freight train derails in Hampshire
A FREIGHT train has derailed in Hampshire and is set to cause travel misery for many this evening.
The derailment happened at Eastleigh Station today and resulted in all lines being blocked.
The line through Eastleigh towards London Waterloo has now reopened, the line towards Southampton remains blocked.
South Western Railway (SWR) has said that there are replacement buses between Fareham, Southampton Central, Eastleigh and Basingstoke this evening.
These will also call at intermediate stations.
In a post on its website SWR said: ‘If you are travelling to stations between Basingstoke and Southampton Central, please change at Basingstoke for a replacement bus service.
‘If you are travelling from London Waterloo towards Southampton / Poole / Weymouth your train may be diverted and your journey will take longer.’
Disruption is expected to last until the end of the day.
SWR has also said that tickets will be accepted on the following services:
- Great Western Railway services between Portsmouth Harbour and Salisbury via Southampton Central / Weymouth via Westbury to Salisbury. Also services between Basingstoke / Reading and London Paddington.
- Yellow Buses Route 1 in the Bournemouth area
- Cross Country Trains between Bournemouth and Basingstoke
- Southern Rail services between Southampton Central and Clapham Junction
Here is the full details on the replacement bus service
For intermediate stations between Basingstoke and Southampton Central:
- Four buses are stopping at Basingstoke - Winchester - Eastleigh and Southampton Central
- Four buses are stopping at Basingstoke, Micheldever, Winchester, Shawford, Eastleigh, Southampton Airport Parkway, Swaythling, St Denys and Southampton Central.
For stations between Eastleigh and Fareham:
- Four buses are stopping at Eastleigh, Hedge End, Botley and Fareham
For stations between Romsey and Eastleigh:
- A bus is stopping at Romsey, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, Southampton Airport Parkway, Swaythling, St Denys and Southampton Central. This bus will then return to Romsey without stopping.
For customers travelling to and from London to stations between Basingstoke and Weymouth:
- Customers between Basingstoke and Southampton Central should get a service to Basingstoke and change for replacement bus services
- Customers between Southampton Central and Weymouth can get either a Southern Rail service to Southampton Central or a diverted service from London Waterloo to Poole or Weymouth which will be diverted via Guildford and Fareham and will travel non stop between Woking and Southampton Central.