You could be entitled to financial help if Tier 3 restrictions stop you from working

As more areas of England are being placed under Tier 3 restrictions, workers across the country are increasingly concerned about the possible impact on their finances.

From those working directly in industries affected by the rules (such as hospitality and events) to the millions of people who work in sectors which will be indirectly affected, Tier 3 restrictions are likely to have a devastating impact on the economy of any area where they are implemented.

What government support is available?

There will be support available for some workers, under the government’s job support scheme, which will come into effect on 1 November.

Most Popular

    Through the scheme, those unable to work as a result of closures will be paid 67 per cent of their full wage, up to a maximum of £2,100 per month.

    If you are eligible for the scheme, your employer will arrange the payments.

    What about those not directly affected by closures?

    If you don’t work for a company which is being forced to close, but still think your earnings will be impacted, you might be eligible to receive support through Universal Credit.

    If you live in the UK, you might be able to receive Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or are out of work; if you’re over 18 and under state pension age; and if you don’t have more than £16,000 in savings, taking into account your partner’s savings, too.

    Many households with one person working full-time will be unable to qualify for Universal Credit support, as the earnings of any adults in your household are taken into account, even if they aren’t applying for support.

    The amount you could receive from Universal Credit varies depending on a number of factors, but whether you have children, are in some way disabled or are unable to work for health reasons, or if you’re struggling to pay rent will all be taken into account.