Fire crews called to fourth fire in a month at derelict listed building in Gosport's Anglesey Road

FIRE crews from Gosport and the surrounding area were called to a fire in a derelict former care home yesterday – the fourth fire in the building in the space of a month.

By Richard Lemmer
Saturday, 15th August 2020, 10:22 am
Updated Saturday, 15th August 2020, 10:27 am

Crews from stations in Gosport, Fareham. Portchester, and Southampton, as well as an aerial platform from Southsea Fire Station, were called to Anglesey Lodge in Anglesey Road, Gosport, at 7.30pm last night.

More than 20 firefighters were there for two hours tackling the blaze, which damaged an exterior wall of the early 19th century building.

It is the latest in a series of fires that firefighters believe have been deliberately started by trespassers.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

More than 20 firefighters attended the blaze at the derelict listed building in Gosport yesterday evening. Picture: Dan Harbut

A firefighter from Gosport Fire Station said: ‘I think we have been called out there four times in the last month.

‘The owner has put up fencing and razor wire, but kids find a way to break in.

‘It’s an ongoing eyesore.

‘There is a basement in the building and our worry is that some kids will get trapped in there and be seriously injured or die.’

The blaze damaged an exterior wall of the early 19th century building. Picture: Dan Harbut Photography

Read More

Read More
CCTV plea to protect Portsmouth Naval Memorial after vile yobs leave poo on it ...

No one was injured in the latest fire, with a large number of firefighters in attendance due to the complex layout of the building, according to the attending firefighter.

Photographer Dan Harbut, from Lee-on-the-Solent, who was passing the building when he saw it alight, said: ‘I was told by the fire brigade that it’s a listed building which is why so many different crews were sent, the site is regularly being broken into by people to explore the abandoned buildings and they have really increased the security at the site lately but is still accessible in areas.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron,

Firefighters are worried that people trespassing on the derelict site could be injured in the future. Picture: Dan Harbut

Thank you for reading this story. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on our advertisers and thus our revenues.

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.

Every subscription helps us continue providing trusted, local journalism and campaign on your behalf for our city.