Southsea firefighters break down door to rescue two dogs trapped in house blaze
TWO dogs had to be rescued after becoming trapped in a house fire in Southsea.
Firefighters had to break down the front door of the Prince Albert Road home to get to the animals and carry them to safety.
Two appliances from Southsea Fire Station were called to the blaze at 1.12pm today after a neighbour reported seeing and smelling smoke coming from the house.
Firefighter Hugh Walker said: ‘The owner was not in the property at the time and so we had to use a forced entry to get to the dogs. The fire was coming from the kitchen at the back of the house and the property was starting to fill with smoke.
‘One of dogs was quite old and was reluctant to leave but fortunately we managed to get them out and a neighbour was able to look after them until the owner returned.’
The fire is believed to have been caused by a ‘pan of oil left on the hob’.
Mr Walker added: ‘This is why it is important when leaving your house to check that all appliances, including washing machines and tumble dryers, are turned off. Anything on a cooker should never be left unattended.’
Local residents watched as the dogs were led to safety.
One neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, said: ‘I came out to go for the bus and I saw the road had been taped off. There was smoke coming from the house and two fire engines parked on the street.’
After the fire was extinguished the house was ‘made secure’ until the owner returned. The dogs are back with their owner and were not hurt.